Tuesday, October 4, 2011

5th 52! Apple Pie!

Yum! I made this with help from my sister Madeline (Mads) and with my mom making sure we didn't mess anything up. Turned out that my mom was needed because I messed the dough up by adding water before I was supposed to. oops! Well this turned out great and tasted great! I think that the filling also would've tasted good by itself too! (and I would know I had plenty of 'samples'). I wasn't as organized as I would've like to have been but that's ok because the pie turned out good in the end! I think the recipe could have used a little more cinnamon and spices and a little less lemon but I'll write the original recipe and you can tinker with it as you want. Well here's the recipe. The crust first and then the filling.

Ingredients for pie crust:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 6-7 tbsp water
How to make it:
Using a pastry cutter, cut the shortening, flour, and salt until the mixture is pea size.  Add cold water 1-2 tbsp at a time and mix with a fork until dough forms, do not over-mix. Divide into 2 and roll out to fit the pie pan. Roll the other half of the dough out and cut into strips (those will be for the top criss-cross pattern.

Filling Ingredients (I think this would taste good by itself if you don't feel like making the crust):
  • 12-14 Granny Smith Green Apples
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • A dash of pumpkin pie spice
  • Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces 
How to make it:
Preheat oven to 400. Press one of your pastry circles into a 10" pie pan. Peel, cut and core your apples (this would have taken me hours but my mom bought this apple cutter and peeler thats awesome!! there is a pic below). Put the sliced apple in a big bowl and add your lemon, flour, sugars, and spices, mix together (and possibly try a slice of apple). Put the apples into your pie tin, it might seem like its going to overflow but the pie sinks. Dot the sliced butter on top of the apples and make your top. Okay I made a lattice work top this is how you do it. Put one strip going each way, then put another strip going the same way you put your first strip down.  Now put another strip going the opposite way going under the one that went under already and over one that went over already. Continue doing that until the pie is covered. Cook for 45 min. Until the crust is browning. Let cool and dig in!!
If you have extra dough add cinnamon and brown sugar and cook for 10 min at 400 degrees.
Makes 1 10" pie
Pie Crust Recipe From The Weidman Family Cookbook
Pie Filling recipe Adapted from Pies & Tarts by Martha Stewart

My Sister Mads


Awesome Apple Peeler/Cutter from Bed, Bath, & Beyond
                    


    1 comment: