Monday, September 12, 2011

My 2nd 52! Gum Drops!

Okay I will admit I am not completely satisfied with the these came out but whats done is done right? I have already promised my family that I will make these again and they will taste AWESOME! And if they don't I will continue making them until they do taste right! I think there are a couple of things that I screwed up that if I had done correctly they would have turned out better. Such as PAM!! if you are going to make these use Pam. it is not a choice do it or, well you'll find out. Then I didn't have the correct size pan I had a pan with nine big muffin cavities they were EXTREMELY hard to get the mixture out of.  Also I almost COMPLETELY screwed up the recipe because I almost forgot to boil my mixture, I actually had it in the pan ready to set about to pour the flavoring in when i realized that I had forgotten that step.  When I finally got the mixture on the stove an boiling I didn't stir it I did my dishes instead. The Part about waiting for it to crystallizing I'm not really sure about because the recipe says to let crystallize for 2 days but my dad wanted to eat them before then so we ate them a day early and they were (ew) crunchy. So to each his own. Below is the recipe from Bakerella.  I am also going to make a post all about why to use Pam you'll see why in the pictures!

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp gelatin (that’s about 6 envelopes)
1 cup cold water
1 1/2 cups boiling water
4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp flavored extract like lemon or peppermint
1-2 drops food coloring (I used four colors)
extra sugar for coating
PAM!!!

How To do It! (follow COMPLETELY don't end up like me!)

In a large pot, soften gelatin in cold water for five minutes. Stir in boiling water until gelatin dissolves.
Stir in sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 25 minutes(almost messed up). Stir constantly (messed up). Pour mixture into 4 – 3X5 pans (wrong pan size). Add 1/4 tsp extract and 1-2 drops food color to each pan. Stir until thoroughly combined. Cover pan and chill overnight in the fridge. Cut gelatin mixture into 3/4 inch cubes using a knife dipped in hot water. The gelatin may pull, but continue cutting. Separate cubes and roll in sugar until coated on all sides.
Place gumdrops on wax paper and leave at room temperature for two days to crystallize (To each their own).
This Makes 8 dozen gumdrops I didn't want that many so I cut the recipe in half.
STICKY!
Nice, Neat, And HARD to get out!
That Did NOT end well!


All Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment